Thursday, May 21, 2009

Beauty Review: YSL Exfoliating Lip Balm


I have a bad problem with flaky lips. After failing miserably to resolve the problem with moisturizing balms I decided to give exfoliating treatments a try. Here is my review on YSL Exfoliating Lip Balm

Product Tag Line:

This delicious lip balm instantly enhances the natural beauty of your lips

Promise:
- gently exfoliates and moisturizes while providing a light veil of color
- leaves lips soft, supple and nourished
- instant and irresistible sensation of freshness

What’s Inside:

- Strawberry and sugar grains
- Shea butter
- Apricot, macadamia nut oils

Close-up on Active Ingredients:
Sucrose - sugar grains
Hydrogenated Polysobutene - synthetic oil, emollient
Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate - emollient and thickening agent
Octyldodecanol -emollient, emulsifier and opacifying agent
Polybutene Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil - emollient
Cera Alba (Beeswax)- occlusive
Butyrospermum Parkii (shea butter) extract - occlusive, skin-conditioning
Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract
Caprylic Tryglyceride - emollient
Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer - film forming occlusive
Shorea Stenoptera Butter - skin-conditioning, occlusive
Silica Dimethyl Silylate - emollient, emulsion stabilizing
Stearyl Stearate
Disteardimonium Hectorite
Macadamia Ternifolia Nut Oil - emollient, has soothing properties
Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil - occlusive, skin conditioning
Mentha Piperita Extract

Candelilla Wax… Paraffin…
Rosemary Extract… Citric Acid

I did not list all of the ingredients but those at the top are most important and you can form a general picture about the product. There are a lot of emollient ingredients that condition, soften and moisturize lips skin. In addition there are a lot of occlusives like shea butter, apricot kernel oil, beeswax. These ingredients will form a protective film over the skin to prevent loss of moisture.

Experience:
Texture: thick, creamy with about 70% sugar and 30% strawberry particles
Smell: pleasant minty scent
YSL Exfoliating Lip Balm has very thick texture so it is not so easy to massage lips with it in “small circular movements”. I’m not sure what YSL meant by promising it will leave a “veil of color” on your lips. According to the supplied directions you are supposed to “remove the excess exfoliating grains with a tissue”. But I find that I need to remove more than just the excess grains, I need to remove the exfoliated flaking skin as well. Also when I apply the balm it can appear a bit whitish on my lips especially if my lips or fingers are wet. I think this white color is due to the high content of occlusive oils.

My lips are definitely a challenge for any product. I do get results from YSL but not as effective as I need. Often I would apply it twice, leave for 5 minutes each time, remove with a tissue and rub my lips with a towel to achieve more exfoliation. But I have to say that even when I get a bit too aggressive on my lips, due to moisturizing ingredients in the balm, they usually don’t feel sore but appear soft and moisturized. Also this product gets good reviews so it seems to work better for other people.

Bottom Line: I would recommend this balm for those who don’t have toooo flaky lips like me. It will help you to have perfectly moisturized and smooth pout!

Price Time:
It’s pricey! About $20 for 15 ml

But it lasts long.

4 comments:

Jessica Allison said...

C.O. Bigelow makes a similar product that only costs $7.50. It's a nice treat, but frankly, I think it's easier to just lightly brush your lips with your clean toothbrush each night!

Galina said...

@ Jessica
Hi! Thanks for the comment! I need to check Bigelow product! You know, I tried the trick with a toothbrush... doesn't seem to work for me! I think my lips need not only physical exfoliation but chemical/enzyme as well... Plus some intense moisturizing!

My Skin Affair said...

Also great for dry lips...Bobbi Brown Extra Soothing Balm. Expensive, but amazing. Not an exfoliant, just an incredible moisturizer and a little goes a long way. Check it out if you can.

Galina said...

@My Skin Affair
Thanks for the tip. A good lip balm is a treasure! Don't know why but not many work for me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails